Wednesday, November 19, 2008

ETHICS AND CONDUCT

Well, i am just writing this to share and well, as you all know i am pretty free hence i have plenty of time at hand to think about things. Well it was last week, i received this sms msg from back home, basically from this person asked me whether i could assist this person's sibling whom currently in Australia, was depressed and struggling for the past few months and it would great and highly appreciated if i could help this person's sibling. This person only citing where the sibling was studying (which state) and the name.
My first reaction was hmm... i dont know this person. All i know is that this person got my mobile number from a friend. My dear friend, Meela whom i know is a dearest person and she is one that you can depend on. She always have people interest at heart and would help whoever. She has become among the closest people in my life and she is a dear! I managed to ask her and she did say she was supposed to inform me about it. I was okay with it. The intention was good.
What made me think however is that this person a random person and asked for help. I reckon maybe it was a last measure and really in need of help. But the thing iss that, it is against my work ethics as we have proper channel in terms of seeing a client and there are rules and regulations and i am here as a trainee as well. And the thing is that i am in a different state, not even close! and when this person just cited the name and the place, i was like hmm... you expect me just to look for this person? Thats convenient! I am just like doesnt this person have friends there or like i believe there are system or department such as Learning connection in the University this person could go to and asked for assistance. Well, i know some people are not exposed to lots of things but for me, it is hard to help people when they themselves do not find options to help themselves first and depend on others.
I was like also... how does this person expect i could help? It is against rule and ethics just to give therapy outside. I am not sure this person ever tried to contact me. I mean we are taught to differentiate between friend and clients as we are not paid friend when we give therapy. And this person also comes from health/medical background. I am just wondering how would it feel if i asked this person for service in this person's field, i am betting the person would say go clinic or hospital and proper way to do it. I know what we do, maybe two different fields but still same basis.
What frustrated me is that people tend to ignore the work ethics and the proper way and neglect the fact that i am still a trainee as well and it is not a good practice. Even with friends, i am supposed to be careful in giving advices and always the case we are not to see relatives or friends to avoid biase judgment and the integrity of our profession. I do believe this person knows and bless that this person asks for help. A good step just the approach was wrong. I am saying this as i encountered few like this and it is hard. Even at times, comes from my mum hahahah..... i dont mean bad to say this but its something that i think is good to look at. Maybe it is so as i am here in Oz where this thing is very fundamental while it is not so much so back home. We bent too much i reckon! hahaha... okay people do have a good day! Healthy Mind Healthy Body!!

No comments: